This Raiders 16 to 13 victory over the Jets in OT was especially sweet for me. I made the trek from LA to Oakland with my nephew to witness this exciting, inspiring, and dramatic contest. Prior to this game, it had been a long stretch of coming up empty ... the last time I had experienced a live win was on September 28, 2003 when the Raiders defeated the Chargers 34 to 31.
Here are some observations and key performers from Sunday:
* Nothing beats the euphoric feelings of exiting the stadium with a stirring "W".
* Rookie DE Trevor Scott, a 7th round selection, had a game he can tell his grandchildren ... 2 sacks of Favre including an OT sack on 3rd down in OT.
* WR Javon Walker finally played a complete game with 5 receptions for 75 yards and 1 TD reception.
* ST Jon Alston's 22 yard scamper on a fake punt play was pivotal and a momentum changer.
* CB DeAngelo Hall, who has been picked on both literally and figuratively, played solid in coverage limiting Favre's production.
* The Raiders D was the inspiration and backbone of this victory. The Jets averaged 28 points per game going into this contest but came away with a mere 13 points. Favre was sacked, pressured, and hit throughout the game. Hall and Gibril Wilson had critical interceptions.
* QB JaMarcus Russell was steady at the helm (17 for 30, 1 TD, 0 Int) and stepped up on the final possession in OT to put together 2 long completions (16 yards to Walker and 27 yards to Miller) that led to the game winning FG.
* Last but not least, K SeaBass was clutch booting a record 57 yard FG in OT to seal the deal.