The Tin Man Era is Over
The black cloud hanging over the head of the Raider Nation has officially been lifted with the signing of Aaron Brooks. The Tin Man Collins Era is over and not a minute too soon! The chance of Collins being re-signed has felt like a splinter in my brain.
Aaron Brooks veteran presence will allow for Andrew Walter to be groomed to be our future franchise QB. Brooks has all of the physical tools to get our offense humming again.
Do I think Brooks is capable of turning things around? Absolutely. From an athletic standpoint, he is one of the most gifted QBs in the league. His combination of size (6'4", 220 lbs), arm strength, and mobility is an excellent match for our vertical offense. His feet and legs will buy additional time to find Moss, Porter, and Gabriel on secondary routes and broken plays. These improvisational plays would be similar to the success Culpepper and Moss shared in Minnesota. When the pocket crumbles, Brooks will be able to hit Moss & company on a busted pattern or pull it down and run for a 1st down. No longer do we have a frozen corpse in the pocket.
Brooks inconsistency at New Orleans can be partly attributed to being on a bad team without the weapons he now has in Oakland. After last year's poor performance in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, it will be important for Art Shell to rebuild Brooks' confidence and install a game plan that will minimize his mistakes.
The TEAM's success will depend on the following six-pack;
1) Another key free agent signing (ie. Larry Allen, OG) plus a bountiful 2006 draft
2) Brooks maximizing his talents and taking full advantage of his new arsenal of offensive weapons.
3) A revamped and improved O-line courtesy of Jackie Slater and Art Shell's expertise.
4) An improved and committed power rushing attack that sets up play action pass
5) Better use of Moss as one of the premier players in the league or in shorthand, Brooks + Moss = difference maker
6) An improved and attacking D that creates more turnovers
With the book on #5 closed it is time to turn the page Raider Nation. "Deuces are Wild!" View a career summary and player profile on Aaron Brooks here.
Silver & Black Forever,