Big John Madden - Hello Canton
John Madden, who will be the analyst for ABC’s broadcast of Super Bowl XL, deserves to be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. It is truly a mystery to me how a Head Coach who compiled a record of 112-39-7 isn’t already enshrined in Canton Ohio. His big jolly mug should have a prominent spot in the hallowed halls of the Hall of Fame. The statistics below should scream out to all of the voters casting their ballot that Big John is without question a Big “YES”
Oakland Raiders Head Coach (1969-1978 - 10 seasons)
- 2nd highest winning percentage (.739) of all time next to Vince Lombardi
- 8 out of 10 seasons the Raiders reached the playoffs. This is remarkable especially when you factor in that during this era only 4 teams received playoff berths from each conference (3 divisional winners + 1 wild card)
- Reached the AFC Championship game 6 of 10 seasons
- Winning Head Coach of Super Bowl XI
- Record vs. Hall of Fame coaches: 36-16-2 (.685 percentage): vs. Hank Stram 7-4-2, vs. Chuck Noll 6-5, vs. Paul Brown 5-3, vs. Sid Gillman 4-0, vs. Don Shula 4-3, vs. Weeb Ewbank 3-0, vs. Bud Grant 3-1, vs. Marv Levy 2-0, vs. George Allen 1-0, vs. Tom Landry 1-0.
Madden had a winning record against every Hall of Fame coach! John Madden’s enduring love for professional football and sterling record of accomplishments should be recognized and rewarded with his enshrinement into the Hall of Fame. Let’s hope that when the final votes are tabulated this weekend that Madden announces SBXL as a Hall of Fame elected inductee.